Do our children drive us to achieve greater success in our careers?
BDO Recruitment recently celebrated 20 years in business. I got to thinking about how our children contribute to success in our working lives particularly where there is a significant interpersonal dynamic involved.
- They motivate us to get out of bed in the morning to earn a living to pay the bills and to be able to provide for them now and into the future.
- They help us develop our communication skills which we can bring to good use in our business lives.
- They are very good at giving honest feedback which keeps us humble and grounded.
- They help us develop our negotiating and listening skills and the art of knowing when to say nothing.
- They help us to be a little bit more understanding of the people we deal with, i.e. our customers, employees, people we are interviewing for jobs. Everyone is someone’s pride and joy.
- They provide us with a powerful lesson in self-awareness and getting to know yourself through dealing with the challenges of rearing kids, particularly with teenagers. This is a great gift although hard earned.
- They teach us how to be truly generous without expecting any return which I think perversely is a great lesson in how to be successful in business.
- They motivate us to set high standards for ourselves so that we can be good role models for them and that we can be strong when they need us.
- They give us purpose and a different perspective on most things.
- They relieve us of most of our money so we don’t have to worry about investing it!